-
November 9th, 2005, 09:02 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Now I know most of you read this months back, but I just now went out and bought it. So bear with me [img]wink.gif[/img]
First of all, I have to say that I liked it. There are definitely parts I have trouble with-and I will get to them in a moment-but in general I liked the story and thought it was entertaining enough. I liked that there was no hint that Ben liked Annabelle back. I had heard some stuff that led me to believe that this would happen and was relieved when it didnt. I mean, he cant like Annabelle, hes going to marry Lissie after the war [img]wink.gif[/img]
My only complaint within the story was that not only was Elizabeth pretty much a patriot, but by the end Annabelle was starting to become one as well. Maybe thats not how you are supposed to intrepret it, but I did. The whole point of their frienship is that they come from familys with different political beliefs. By having those two change their minds signals that Felicitys family is right in some way, rather than showing that different beliefs-in this context-were understandable and neither were wrong. That whole part of the story left me uneasy. Espcially since we know that Mr Cole eventually goes back to England. Its been awhile since I read the books so I dont remember the exact reasoning behind that situation, but either way, it does not seem to flow well into Changes for Felicity which I believe takes place <u>after</u> Very Funny, Elizabeth.
Finally, although I enjoyed the book itself, I wished Valerie Tripp would have gone with another story idea. I realize that this is Elizabeth's story, but I felt that the strong lack Felicity's character was odd. She was barely in the book. The whole point of Elizabeth the doll and her subsequent book is that she is Felicitys best friend. A story that involved the two of them and their friendship and what makes it distinct-the different political views-would have been far more interesting than dealing entirely with Elizabeth and her sister. Still, the story Tripp came up with was entertaining enough. I just hope that the friend characters will get a few more books. Not as many or in the same format as the historicals, but a little more than just one story would be nice.
Well those are just my thoughts. Anyone else still willing to discuss it?
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ November 09, 2005 05:02 PM: Message edited by: *shortie* ]</font>
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks